Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cheap Date Night – Moshi Moshi


I know that I have recently shared some recipes on this blog, but when it comes down to it…I am not a cook. That is why I love restaurants so much and also why I am always on the lookout for a thrifty dinner out. I was so excited when I got my bill from Moshi Moshi to realize that we had just had a dinner for two under $35!

Moshi Moshi (3321 West Cary Street) is in Carytown, which is the perfect bike riding distance from my house on a nice day. We didn’t bike it on this trip for the same reason we didn’t sit on the patio. We sat at the bar in air conditioning! We were really looking for something quick since we were on our way to another event. Sushi seemed perfect. I ordered the Tempura Avocado to start and was absolutely in love. The cilantro cream sauce was a perfect accompaniment and the avocado was fresh out of the fryer, melt-in-your-mouth good. For sushi we didn’t get adventurous, just a plain roll for me and my date had the Roll Platter that came with one California Roll, one Spicy Tuna Roll and one Salmon Roll. An appetizer and 4 rolls between the two of us, was almost more than we could eat.

Breakdown:
Tempura Avocado - $8.00
Roll - $5.00
Roll Platter - $12.00
Tax - $2.75
Gratuity - $6.00
Total - $33.75

If we were feeling more experimental, we might have tried some of the Specialty Rolls like the Baking Salmon: crab, avocado and cucumber rolled in tempura crunchies and topped with baked salmon, spicy mayo, eel sauce and green onion or the Samurai: spicy salmon, cream cheese and cucumber tempura fried and baked with mango and eel sauces topped with green onion. Those are a little more pricy, but seem well worth it. Photo credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment