Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pulled Pork for Days

When I was growing up, I hated to eat leftovers.  My mother would “kill” something on Sunday and we would be eating it all week. By that I mean she cooked a big roast of some kind and tried to trick us into eating it for days. Through my teen years and even in college, I refused to eat leftovers of any kind.  But now that I am on a budget I realize how very practical that can be.

This Saturday, we (and by “we” I mean my husband) put a $4/4lb pork shoulder in the crock pot and we have been eating it ever since. Not in the same ways as we did when I was a kid, but I am amazed how when you have no choice but to be creative, you find ways to forget it is leftovers.

Day 1: BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
½ Bottle BBQ Sauce, Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns, American Cheese Slice

Day 2: Shredded Pork Salad
Baby Spinach, Goat Cheese Crumbles, Sliced Strawberries, Raspberry Merlot Vinaigrette

Day 3: BBQ Pork Pizza
Pillsbury Pizza crust, ½ bottle BBQ Sauce, Pineapple chunks, ½ Red onion, “Pizza” Style Shredded Cheese

Day 4: Shredded Pork Tacos with fresh pico de gallo
Soft corn tortillas, Tomato, Garlic, Jalapeño, ½ Red Onion, Lime Juice, Avocado

No comments:

Post a Comment